Hmmm, so I was surfing the web, like I do every day and I came across this article about church membership or …non-membership. Evidently there is a Baptist church, Gulnare Free Will Baptist Church in Kentucky that is denying membership to an interracial couple. Stella Harville and her African fiance, Ticha Chikuni are being denied membership AND are no longer allowed to sing for the church??? This is more disturbing than surprising. I am not surprised because racism is a part of life that we live with daily. If you do not think that racism is alive and well in America, well than you must not live in America!
But I find a number of things disturbing about this story…
- Melvin Thompson, the person who crafted the resolution and called for the vote is the FORMER PASTOR of this church.
- 35-40 people attended, some left and some declined to vote, But no one spoke out about this being wrong.
- The vote was 9-6 in favor of this ban on interracial couples not joining the church.
- The church’s current Pastor is Stacy Stepp, who was against the resolution.
- Why does the former Pastor have so much power to craft a resolution, But the current Pastor appears powerless to stop it?
- Interracial couples are free to attend (AND GIVE THEIR MONEY) but they cannot join??
- If you look around and see that there are no other blacks IN THE BUILDING why would you WANT to join?
According to CBSNEWS, Melvin Thompson had this to say, “I am not racist. I will tell you that. I am not prejudiced against any race of people, have never in my lifetime spoke evil” about a race, said Thompson, the church’s former pastor who stepped down earlier this year. “That’s what this is being portrayed as, but it is not.”
Hmmmm, not racist???? Anyone can attend but interracial couples cannot join??? Yes, that is what the resolution developed by FORMER PASTOR Melvin Thompson says. According to CBSNEWS, “The resolution says anyone is welcome to attend services, but interracial couples could not become members or be “used in worship services or other church functions.”
You can read the story for yourself in its entirety HERE! Please post your thoughts on this, I would be interested to get your opinion on this!
Check me out HERE as well!